Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Shirataki Noodles

I have found shirataki noodles in some local stores, but the only ones I've found there contain tofu. Since I can't eat soy, I can't eat them.

If you have an Asian store near you, you may be able to find tofu-free noodles in person. I haven't found such a store near me.

I order my shirataki noodles from:

Konjac Foods

My favorite shape is Orzo. It's like long grain rice and blends well into casseroles and crockpot meals as well as stir-fries.

I also like Angel Hair. (Konjac Foods used to carry a short angel hair; it may be what they now call Tiny Pasta.) I snip the angel hair with scissors to make the strands shorter and more manageable.

If you haven't tried shirataki noodles before, it is usually best to start out with smaller shapes to get used to the somewhat rubbery texture. You can also order the original variety pack or new shapes variety pack to try many different shapes to see what you like. (If you don't like a particular shape, run it through your blender or food processor to pulverize it and use it like the orzo shape.)

The noodles come packed in water, so you need to rinse them in a wire colander under running water to remove the packing liquid. They have what some call a "fishy" smell, but it rinses away.

You do not need to cook the noodles; just add them to your recipe. They have no flavor of their own; they pick up the flavors of the other foods in the recipe.

Shirataki noodles have no carbs or calories and are very filling. They are a wonderful addition to a low carb lifestyle. My BGL and weight both do well with them.

You can find my shirataki noodle recipes at DARdreams. You can use them like regular pasta by topping them with a sauce, but I prefer mixing them into a recipe like in my Beefy Noodle Bake pictured above. 

Miracle Noodle sells a variety of shirataki noodles. Netrition also sells Miracle Noodle angel hair pasta.

Amazon also sells shirataki noodles.


Check the prices, including shipping and package size for the best deal. Once you know you like the noodles, it's usually cheaper to buy them by the box. The noodles without tofu are room temp stable for months, so you don't need to store them in your frig.

However you decide to use the noodles, I hope you will check them out.